ISCRAT: A dialogic analysis of cockpit operating procedures

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 19:41:22 PDT

The conversation with Anna about the European collision stimulates me to
report on another excellent paper at ISCRAT:

"A dialogic analysis of cockpit operating procedures" presented by Peter
Wright (Univ of York, UK) and co-authored by John McCarthy (Cork Univ.,
Ireland)

The paper concerns the ways in which pilots filter supposedly standard
operating procedures through their own historical and cultural experience.
The concluding paragraph of the abstract reads:

" Our anlaysis is based on an annotated Quick Reference Handbook and
interviews with the pilot who made the annotations. The handbook is a
formal work artefact defining among other things how to identify emergency
situations and appropriate procedures to use in such emergencies. The
annotations speak of the pilot's accumulated experiences of flying and
simulator training in a number of companies. By analysing the formal
procedures and annotations as multiple voicings, we reveal some of the
emotional-volitional concerns that permeate the work of this pilot. We also
explore the paradoxical relationship between authorised texts and texts as
records of prosaic experience."

Phillip Capper,
Centre for Research on Work, Education and Business Ltd. (WEB Research),
Level 13
114 The Terrace
(PO Box 2855)
WELLINGTON