Re: culture and novelty

From: Vera (vygotsky@unm.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 15:18:45 PDT

I will first reply to the easiest of topics, that of the narrowness of
words and how they expand. I think Vygotsky meant a double development, that
of concepts and their connection with fantasy and emotion in adolescence
(see his essay in the Vygotsky Reader on Imagination in adolescence) and
related to that issue is also the fullness of meaning when it is linked to
sense--the more experiential aspects of meaning which add to and complete
language.
This brings me to self versus, and or subject. To me, very briefly, the self
is formed as a consequence of activity, both the consequences of
participation and of resistence to some forms of intended joint
activity.[ The latter was pointed ou to me by Carolyn Panofsky from her
studies of parental reading to preschool children. ]
Activity has varied consequences on the actor, including the internalization
of new knowledge. As a student of collaboration, I was particularly struck
by the expansion of the "self" through complementarity, as I see each of us
as just a partial realization of human potential at any historical moment. I
see a need for a self or some similar concept when dealing with the unity of
brain, mind and action.
I hope we can discuss these issues in depth in Chicago.
I agree with Keith on issues of emergence, and hope that we will have a
chance to develop the relevance of novelty and creativity to CHAT further
once our Counterpoint volume on the topic is in print (next spring.)
Mike, I will send the abstract of Mervi's talk within the next 24 hours, I
don't have it on this machine,
Vera