Business Meeting speaker and related matters

From: Judy Diamondstone (judith.diamondstone@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 18:53:29 PDT

The trend is strong in favor of Dorothy Holland to present at the business
meeting & she will be officially invited to do so.

It is also obvious that there are many among us who are interested and able
to present on topics related to the issues that Dorothy would address.

There are those who would present arguments based on a tradition of
scholarship and those who would base them on illustrative research (more in
line with Holland's own work).

We could vote on the kind of panel we'd like to see and solicit proposals
accordingly. But another option is conveniently available -- we can gather
proposals first and then shape the Business Meeting panel (and perhaps a
second symposium, since SIG members have enthusiastically supported a
related SIG theme) accordingly.

Papers for the panel would be selected on the basis of the ratings on
reviews, likely audience interest, and coherence --

Based on Holland's own work and discussions we've had "here," we would
consider relevant topics to include:
        identity
        agency & social change
        the self in activity
        the subject in/of activity
        subjectivity
        non-normative trajectories in cultural historical systems
        and....?.

Thus, we invite anyone interested in presenting on a panel at the Business
Meeting to submit proposals on any of these topics for review.

Judy, Bill, Pilar, Chrysoula