Being called to the plate

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 05:55:39 PDT

Bill,

Unfortunately, I have been a bit of an antagonist and this has colored my
posts with an adversarial nature. The conversational tone does tend to
provide a better environment but I still sense a great discourd among people
who work under the umbrella term of sociocultural psychology. Currently my
purpose for questioning others on their theoretical thinking is to help
myself with why I am so dissatisfied with the status quo in American public
education.

Here is my greatest quandry: It appears that standardized testing is
attempting to quantify that which is the lowest acceptable performance and
the method for doing this is to present the same test to all students.
Sociocultural studies show that people come to the same knowledge through
their own unique experiences (something impossible to measure using the same
method) and yet within the field of sociocultural psychology there appears to
be a movement that would prefer to do away with individual measurements.
So, if the field of sociocultural psychology is going to influence the status
quo to change doesn't there need to be a unified stance regarding cultural
AND individual differences?

eric