Re: FW: ISCRAT: Epistemic Activity

From: Nate (vygotsky@charter.net)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 20:13:35 PDT

Phillip,

This is nothing new. Would not any cross-generational history of
immigrants point to a similar story. Usually at some point there is a
change in identification.

I would argue that in important ways the exact oppossite is ocurring.
Hey, kids go to before school care, school, and then after care. Then
many go to math and reading academies during the summer. Kids become
immersed in pop culture, and while it is a challenge to education, it is
rarely expansive. How do schools function in N.Z.?

I certainly do not see the picture you are painting of diverse
approaches to knowledge. More and more there are pressures to get
eveyone on the same page if its local standards or "dumbed down" federal
tests (what school wants a letter sent home notifying parents they can
transfer schools because there failing).

I guess part of me is still curious for an argument on how knowledge is
more democratic? How is a webpage more democratic than a teacher? In
many ways it would seem less so, particularily in the context of
re-mediating meaning.

--
There is no hope of finding the sources of free action in the lofty
realms of the mind or in the depths of the brain. The idealist approach