Re: FW: ISCRAT: Epistemic Activity

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 18:32:47 PDT

Dear Phillip et al,

By your description Phillip can you really say that there are many more
ways of knowing today than in the past? Well maybe a few technologically
specific ways more ;-)

But it seems to me that knowing and knowers were always already plural.

The real hinge point seems, imho, to be the issue you raise of
privileged ways of knowing.

But even there it seems to me historically that there may have been many
more acknowledged ways of knowing prior to the advent of schools than
may currently be widely acknowledged even today.

It seems that it is not knowledge that has been democratized, but
perhaps rather that the awareness of how democratic knowing has always
been is coming to the fore, after a period of school-induced
mystification, and primarily coming to the fore for those who have up
until now rather safely inhabited and believed in the realm of
schools/colleges/universities as the appropriate sites for knowledge.

So I would suggest that some of that awareness is likely fairly
class-bound, and that many folks who were never part of the privileged
academy did not tend to underestimate their own or others multiple ways
of knowing in the way academicians may have. Just a thought.

In Peace,
K.