Re: object/boundary object

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 18:55:48 PDT

wbarowy@attbi.com writes:
>On a personal note, i too would find DH interesting as a speaker.
>
>I've been drawn, kicking and screaming, into recognizing identity
>formation,
>as inclusion of these developmental processes into theoretical
>description of
>Activity seems to solve some problems/ fill some gaps.

        yes - i'd be delighted if Holland were an invited speaker.

        also, one thought i've got just now is that object arises out of an
activity, or that it is from which an activity arises - i'm thinking
that object emerges from individuals - yes
socially/culturally/historically mediated and constructed out of the
constraints of tools, rules, and community. yet object is embodied within
the individual, not the activity.

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white