Ricardo's questions about my improv example

From: ksawyer@artsci.wustl.edu
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 14:24:18 PDT

Ricardo, I'm glad that you liked the example. In response to your questions:
They were two different ensembles. And when I said "narrative structure" I
perhaps should have said "dramatic structure" or "frame." In fact, the
emergent frame isn't much like a conventional narrative.

The differences between the two frames are, as I said, that one of them
emphasizes plot and the other emphasizes character and relationship. For
example, the former performance has four plot lines whereas the latter has only
two; and the former performance has only 1 developed relationship whereas the
latter has 11.

I explain why this would be expected, even though the actors do not intend it
to happen, based on the differences in communication technique available to the
actors, and I demonstrate the emergence of this frame information by tracking
when this information enters the frame during the course of the 60-minute
performance; and I demonstrate downward causation by showing how individual
actor's actions are altered in response to the emergence of the frame.