Re: Two examples of emergence

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 07:06:37 PDT

Keith -- I loved your example, too.

The first parallel I thought of was of the role of minority caucuses within a
union. I can think of two building trades unions as examples. If one is trying
to change the direction of policy within a union (change the plot) it is more
effective to have an organzation within the union (an out-of-character group)
that can comment on and influence the plot. This would be a minority caucus of
some sort -- black, Hispanic, women's, etc. When members of minority groups
are dispersed as individuals within the group, the relationships may be more
highly developed but their power to influence policy goes down. There are
implications for collective action here.

Thanks -- Helena