AT and tenure

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 08:57:50 PDT

I certainly hope you are correct, Anna-
For many many years people associated with Vygotskian points of view
were heavily discriminated against in american academic circles and
now, having become largely domesticated and seen by some as fashionably
de-marxified, such positions can be an advantage (although in Michigan
for example, state legislators have criticized academics for using
communist ideas by theVygotsky guy within the last year or two).

It seems to me that helena's position is particularly paradoxical because
she works for an institution which is directly involved in labor
education. I failed to understand from your note that the same applied
to the person you were refering to. I that job was at a more mainstream
academic institution.
mike