RE: Flakes

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 13:00:15 PDT

> review letters, and if my 'academic identity" has "Activity Theory"
> connected with it, I will be regarded as a flake and will fail to get
tenure.

That the situation can be like this is very troubling indeed. However, it is
luckily not a uniform reality. A student from our program who wrote a
dissertation in the AT framework has just been interviewed for a position at
one of the best departments in this country, selected among only few from a
pool of more than a 100 applicants - precisely (though not only) because her
dissertation was written within a CHAT framework.
I hope this example to the conrary of what Helena had described would
reassure those students working within AT and reading messages on this list.
Anna
Anna Stetsenko, PhD
Professor and Program Head
PhD Program in Developmental Psychology
Graduate Center, City University of New York
365 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10016