Flakes

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 12:40:21 PDT

> review letters, and if my 'academic identity" has "Activity Theory"
> connected with it, I will be regarded as a flake and will fail to get
> tenure.
>
> So this is a bit of a bother.

I can imagine. But I guess THAT kind of contractual obligation placed by a
labor relations department seems to fall within the expertise located there.

You know, I've heard of a place that has completely avoided the pitfalls of
the tenure system by not having any tenure. No union either. The whims of
the administration are fiats to the faculty. The workload discourages the
innovation, research, and scholarship valued by other institutions, and thus
for faculty who go there, there is no way out.

An interesting variant of the double bind, and quite distributed among many.

But anyway, the mutual learning in the coauthorship of a paper, in your case,
occured across two systems, the public sector union and your department, and
led to some "cross-fertilization" -- joining the annual conference and the
prof. association.