Building bridges between socio and individual

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 15:04:12 PDT

Helena;

Humor me please as I try to explain how I am thinking about this topic of
assumptions and explanatory processes. At the systemic level it is possible
to 'group' people together into economical patterns, or ethnic patterns, or
size of feet patterns. Yet, when numbers are counted the assumptions from
this grouping may differ from assumptions we make when we view an
individual's case. I agree that analyzing things on a systemic level is
necessary but when discussion turn to individual successes these same
assumptions cannot be claimed.

Pointing out how systems interact is extremely important for explaining the
need for and poosible paths of future collaborative efforts among the systems
involved. However, when pointing to the number of participants who entered
into apprenticeship programs it would be very helpful for me to know
precisely what an individual actively participated in that lead to success.
For example did a successful participant allow someone to give them rides to
class or call them for reminders of dates and times? For example, when I
read about the work being done in fifth dimension activities I appreciate the
precise dialogue that occurs so that I may grasp how an individual came to
exhibit novel behavior. In the long run it is this novel behavior [becoming
an apprentice] that this project is promoting, correct?

So in closing, I believe it is extremely important to provide the system
study but as a practitioner I need an analysis of specific behaviors in order
to assist me in replicating success.

make sense,
eric