Re: VIRUSes HOAXes Security/Trust Relations and, of course, Contradictions

From: Nate Schmolze (v3y3g3o3t3s3k3y@msn.com)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 14:28:07 PDT

Or to get rid of or dismantle microsoft products, I'm serious.

In addition to having AVG, I do all my email on the web (secure in more ways
than one), and do not have any microsoft products installed on the computer.
This is a must for anyone who does not want to be bothered by viruses.

I no longer worry about hoaxes or viruses, and haven't for some time time.
The last virus I had was Word 97 (every new line it indented to center of
page, line after line after line) - Open Office Org 1.0 is my salvation now.

Every virus I have ever had was because of some Microsoft "user friendly"
loop hole to do something it had no business doing. In addition, not
visiting windows update has also helped me be virus free.

I did like the social capital argument though :)

>The solution is also an age-old solution. One has to begin building a new
>social capital, a new trusted social network. For us, it is one that knows
>about viruses and their hoaxes, and has trusted resources at hand for
>determining which is which. Part of that trusted social network is the
>habit
>of checking resouces for the authenticity of CV and VH threats. I would
>like
>to trust that threat warnings i receive here, on xmca, have been validated.
>Here is my contribution:
>
>http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/c7100/Security.html
>
>Don't hesitate to check it -- evertime i teach the course, I update the
>references.
>
>bb

nAtE

vygotsky@charter.net