Re: stability & change / hot and cold

From: Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 11:33:17 PDT

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Nate Schmolze
Assunto: Re: stability & change / hot and cold

"So, does appropriation encompass internalization?"

In my understanding, yes. Because internalization would be a larger concept than appropriation. So, all kind of appropriation would imply, any way, internalization.

" For me, appropriations
usefulness is in describing aspects of the social that are not internalyzed
perse. But it seems possible to have one and not the other. "

I also think it is possible. My thinking is that all appropriation presupposes internalization but not all internalization would be necessarily appropriation (unconscious reasons and desires etc).

"For example, a
child with downs syndrom appropriating the activity of reading (looking
through dictionary) yet not internalyzing skills / practices necessary to
"read".

Any child, "normal" or "deaf", in the process of appropriation the activity of writting-reading (one thing cannot be separeted from the other) had already internalized a very specifical way of thinking: verbal thinking! She speaks and hear/understand the world - although in a very specific manner - necessarily mediated by WORDS.

"I ask because it seems to me they are both useful concepts, and that
appropriation does not necessarily encompass the concept of internalization."

For the reasons I briefly put above, I cannot agree with your statement that "appropriation does not necessarily encopass the concept of internalization". Can you point me where and why I'm wrong?