as you like, judy

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 12:14:54 PDT

I think the issue of who decides things are appropriate is important, Judy,
and emphasizing that all of us participate in many cultures and none of
us has total knowledge of any culture. It seems to me that making the
norms of appropriateness a site of contestation ought to allow me to
escape from my well known conservatism.

What icons have you (appropriately) shattered?
Perhaps by bringing externalization into balance with internalization/
appropriation, or by distinguishing between mastery and internalization
as Jim W suggests, or both, you worries about conservatism
might be allayed.
mike