Re: nonseparability between what and what?

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 20:29:29 PDT

Mike;

Your writing on soiciocultural psychology will lead future theorists in the
right direction on the dialectic of external/internal artifacts.

That said, engaging myself in this current conversation of unresolved issues
has been a catalyst for rereading my personal favorites. No offense but one
of these favorites is a Valsiner article published in Human Development in
2000. It is concerning the process structure of semiotic mediation. A major
theme of this article is precisely this subject of internalized
signs/artifacts. In rereading this article it occurred to me that perhaps
the paradox is that external artifacts are past and present orientated while
internalized artifacts are present and future orientated. I agree that your
approach of having articles available to benefit discussions is important and
so more articles that discuss this inseparability issue would possibly be of
value.

Another important point is that when Valsiner discusses internalization of
signs he is most often discussing this in the context of goal-directed
activities.

More food for thought from the rambler,
eric