Re: Vygotsky as individualist

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 08:54:25 PDT

To Gordon et al,

Unless, perhaps, our own acculturation into the cult of individualism
(particularly in the U.S.) has colored our perceptions and experiences
so thoroughly that we cannot help but see ourselves and others as
"individuals" in some sense of the term that is uniquely (and socially)
ours?

If only out of peer pressure to see ourselves this way ;-)

Just a thought, though I appreciated your phenomenological approach to
the question Gordon.

And my question above is not rhetorical "my" mind is not made up. ;-)
Much of what you write, Gordon, is plausible to me from within my own
phenomenology.

I wonder about the occurrence of cultural/historical groups where
members do not share our view/sense of individualism. Any good
cross-cultural comparisions/contrasts we should know about in this
discussion?

Thanks all!

In Peace,
K.