Vygotsky as educator

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 06:11:57 PDT

In a message dated 5/2/2002 6:56:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
smago@coe.uga.edu writes:

> especially if you have lumped all Vygotsky-inspired theorists together, as I
> have tended to do

Peter,

It is interesting and coincidental that I read this in your post because
having just read my mail this morning I wasn't going to send any other
postings but had just read a brief snippet of Thought and Language that
begged a contribution. It was the thought that I had entered onto xmca as a
naive fan of LSV and for some reason thought that a group of pepople
interested in his writings would be unified in their theories and practices;
it is certainly not the case. Now we have Sawyer's most recent work that
looks at the concept of emergence and what this can do for unification. So,
thank you for your contribution it is much better then I could have done
regarding the fissure. I will close with the following from Kozulin's 1999
edition of LSV's Thought and Language[pg. 185]

"Developemnt and instruction have different 'rhythms.' These two processes
are interconnected, but each of them has its own measure."

I learn each time I read from Vygotsky's treasury and I believe the previous
quote is a hint at how we can approach the present paradox [as M. Cole wrote,
paradoxes do indeed have long histories and that includes future histories as
well]

Well off to chaperone my first grad daughter's field trip, the more things
change - the more they stay the same. Or something like that that some
famous person once said . . .

. . . a long time ago, today
eric