Vygotsky as individualist

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 09:46:12 PDT

I simply don't agree with the notion that Vygotsky ignored the individual
and if I were retired witha lot of time on my hands, would be prepared to
argue the case in extenso. Valsiner's repeated arguemnts are against the
"fusion" notion of situatedness as put forward by Altman and Rogoff.

What could possibly be the sense of Vygotsky choosing Mandelshtam's
phrase " I forgot the word I wanted to say, and thought, unembodied,
returns to the hall of shadows" if the I and the They were totally fused?

In "The cultural development of the child" he explicity argues for the
new quality that EMERGES with culturally mediated human action."

At the same time, I have no difficulty agreeing with the
idea that the level/perspective analysis depends on the purposes at
hand.

What work is the current division of people into emergentists or
non-emergentists doing by those doing it?
mike