Re: Vs: academic refresher course...

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 08:50:17 PDT

marja,

THANK YOU! good heavens, you offered exactly what i was in search of,
including the consideration of Byatt's novel -
fantastic.
thanks a million.
diane

merja writes:
>Diane
>here are a couple of references
>
>Czarniawska, Barbara (1997) Narrating the organization. Chicago and
>London: University of Chicago Press
>Czarniawska, Barbara (1997) On the imperative and impossibility of the
>polyphony in organizational studies. Paper presesented in Leuwen,
>Belgium June 1997
>
>my notes are from the presentation, which was based on her new book
>my notes:
>she look at some examples of how the tower of babel has been
>used/explained and writes that
>linguistics look for universal language, scientist look for the perfect
>one ....management and org. theory base their legitimacy on telling the
>truly universal story of organizing. she disagrees and suggest analysis
>of polyphony. she suggests one solution is bahtin's notion of variegated
>speech, so that different dialects are produced by the author and she
>aims at drawing attention to the multiplicity of voices in the
>contemporary world.
>-translation is linguistic innovationshe uses translation in the
>latourian(1986) way, meaning both transition and tranformation
>she cites byatt (novel about the tower of babel) and stephenson (snow
>crash): a dream of a perfect language is a totalitarian nightmare. eco
>(1995) points to another explanation of babel: a fantastic technological
>achievement . reminds that already dante suggested that the linguistic
>conflict was, in fact, a professional or occupational conflict
>she emphasizes that we are in the market for meanings, and there are
>power positions inside it.
>she cites rorty (1991, p.209) who uses the metaphor of the bazaar,
>instead of a gentleman's club. all the clubs have a common interest of
>maintaining the instituiton of a bazaar. "the language of the clubs are
>indeed incompatible but the practise of haggling makes translation an
>everyday bussiness."
>
>best merja

"As he half dozed the thought struck him of what it might be like to
record the reality of things,
 matched with the thoughts and impressions it brought forth.
 To find the edge on which the interior met the exterior space...
 If he could keep some sense of how things really were,
 he might retain a little of it over time.
The past was always disguising itself, disappearing into the needs
 of the moment. Whatever happened got replaced by the
 official story or competing fictions."
Robert Stone

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, pointe claire, qc, H9R 3Z2