musing "aloud"

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 17:34:22 PDT

Musing--

No one noted that yesterday was the anniversary of the Turkish genocidal
attack on Armenians. There were stories in both the new york times and
los angeles times. I am thankful I learned to pay attention here.

I am looking at statistics on infant mortalilty around the world. In
a group in Nepal, infant mortality INCREASES if the mother goes to
modern medical facilties.

And of course, there is the US. For a story that makes one weep at the
thought of Paul Wellstone being ill, visit

http://www.press-on.net/articles/1-25indian_children.

The weather in southern california is beautiful and our local 5thD is
full of kids from many backgrounds, having fun, and ucsd undergraduates,
from generally more privileged backgrounds, having fun too.

And i get to have fun next week. The person who teaches the 5thD Class
will be away, so I "have" to teach the course. sigh.
mike
PS-- I had this really strange experience. A colleague I have known for
many years met me several times at AERA but she couldn't recognize me
to say hello. I must be getting REALLY old.