Re: unresolved tensions

From: Nate Schmolze (v3y3g3o3t3s3k3y@msn.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 14:56:15 PDT

Yet, is not this just the classical problem when one avoids internalization
-the psychological somehow becomes opposed to the social.

I can't imagine something being less "socially embedded" than the
psychological.

I do think the "degree of seperability" is important, and it gets to the
classical problems of transfer, expandability etc. If a son can cook w/ pop,
yet is unable to do that tomorrow or in another context, the experience
would be context "dependent".

I think there are some situations, like a working class mother memorizing
the grocery list or a middle class mother putting it all in her pda, that
really have no consequence, but then there are others situations where it
becomes a big deal like a child not being able to study or do work without
teacher support.

I seems to me looking at this from a seperability angle is a dead end
street. How is the workingclass mother using memorization less socially
embedded than a pda.

> > That's a good point. The degree of "separability" probably varies from
>one
> > situation to another. For example, studying alone in the library, or
>using
> > a map to figure out where you are when you're lost in the woods, are
> > different (socioculturally) from a five-year-old helping his father to
> > cook dinner, or a girl and her mother planning a girl-scout cookie
>delivery
> > route. One might say the former are "less socially embedded" but most
> > socioculturalists are resistant to such distinctions, because they want
> > make strong anti-psychology claims that there is NO activity that is not
> > fundamentally socially embedded.
> >
> > R. Keith Sawyer
> >

> > http://www.keithsawyer.com/
> > Assistant Professor