[Fwd: Math Report (Stilt Walking) : 15-18/ENG -> ESP/Ghana]

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 12:48:35 PDT

Dear friends,

As part of the work I direct at our Center we facilitate Global Learning
Network projects. One project we routinely facilitate is "Connecting
Math to Our Lives." I previously inquired about interest of XMCAers in
perhaps participating in some way in these. I did get positive
other priorities; and Jay I have been remiss in not getting back to you
sooner. I have been thinking about how best to involve folks without
having you be inundated with messages. Soon many of the participating
classes will be sharing back some varieties of data they've been
collecting around groceries and staple products, for some cross-country
comparisons. Jay, if you're still interested, and others, that may be a
time to review what the participants have done and offer some expert
advice on questions, issues and/or math concepts of import to their
deliberations. Let me know if that is of interest to anyone; feel free
to e-mail me directly.

In the meantime, below is a recent summary of some research carried out
by a class in Ghana who have sent this report on the local practice of
stilt walking. At the bottom of this message you'll find attached a
photo of a stilt walker. I don't mean to detract from the Sawyer
discussion or other threads. But perhaps this is of some interest to
XMCAers, who inevitably will find a way to weave it into current threads
and/or will accept this as a humble aside.

In Peace,
K.