MNFamilyMan muses about the Senator from MN

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 09:47:37 PDT

In a message dated 4/26/2002 5:55:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
mcole@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

> In my part of the US, massive numbers of poor people are about to
> be forced out of welfare. At the same time, the accumulated evidence on
> the prior wave to gotoworkism is that parental income is not lowered but
> parents are home less and kids are in worse shape.

Mike,

As always with government programs the money went to administrative costs for
the 'welfare-to-work' programs and none of the money went to real programs
that could actually get people working who WANT to work. The answer I
continue to get from my school's administration is to have meetings to talk
about the problem. . . hmmmmmm? let's have more high paid government workers
sitting at a table discussing a problem. . . that works every time doesn't
it.

Speaking of Senator Welstone we invited him to come meet with our students
[we have a highly needy population that numbers only 100] but instead he
opted for the High School in St. Paul where they are famous for their
International Bacaleureate [sp?] program. He is a politician and he doesn't
know anything else other then publicity. He is a genuinely caring person and
wants to make a difference in people's lives but he is in a system that
ABSOLUTELY refuses to change.

not venting, just reporting,
eric

P.S. I voted for him twice and he promised he would be a two-term guy; I
will not vote for him again because the one reason he got my vote the second
time was becasue he was a man of principal. This decision to renege on his
promise is reason enough for me to not vote for him again.