Re: enculturation/instruction

From: Gary Shank (shank@duq.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 05:49:17 PST

>Mike Cole asked:
>
>"David-- In your reply to Tina, I was wondering what the enculturation/
>deliberate instruction contrast has in common, or not, with the Vygotskian
>notion of everyday and scientific concepts. My colleague, Margie Gallego,
>has been wondering in what ways everyday concepts might promote
>transformations
>in scientific concepts -- her interpretation being that Vygotsky treats
>scientific concepts as transformers of everyday, but perhaps not the other
>way around."

i think margie's question is similar to the one that has driven all my
efforts as a researcher -- why does the world make so much sense to so many
people so much of the time, when by all rights it shouldnt? vygotsky was
not alone, by any stretch of the imagination, in thinking that science
could inform everyday life more than vice versa, but isnt it all built on
everyday life, in the final analysis?

all these thoughts have been swirling around in my mind, as i work on a
book chapter dealing with notions of praxis logic, drawn from abduction
which is itself the logical grounding of everyday thought, or at least i
suspect that this is the case :-)

margie might be interested in my paper on logic and practice at

http://qualitative-research.net/fqs/fqs-eng.htm in volume 2, #1

gary
shank@duq.edu