moRe: expansive cycle

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 07:43:23 PST

To clarify (maybe eventually?) about people and contradictions, here is an
excerpt from Yrjö's LBE, chapter 3. The excerpt is not intended to answer
anything -- I find myself going back to the full context of this chapter to
revisit the issues better.

------------------------

In 1956, Bateson and his colleagues worked out a general description of these
inner contradictions and named it the double bind. In double bind situations,
the individual, involved in an intense relationship, receives two messages or
commands which deny each other - and the individual is unable to comment on the
messages, i.e., he cannot make a metacommunicative statement.

"If you say this stick is real, I will strike you with it. If you say this
stick is not real, I will strike you with it. If you don't say anything, I
will strike you with it." (Bateson 1972, 208.)

In a thoughtful discussion of the interpretations of the double bind, Paul
Dell clarifies the concept as follows.

"The double bind is not done to someone, it resides in the
'interaction-over-time' by which 'important basic relationships are chronically
subjected to invalidation through paradoxical interaction'. " (Dell 1980, 325;
see also Berger 1978; Sluzki & Ransom 1976.)

The outcomes of Learning II, the unconscious habits, frequently and necessarily
lead the individual to double bind situations. The habit once learned becomes
self-defeating in a superficially similar but structurally altered social
context; or two mutually exclusive habits seem to be required at the same time.