Re: Jumping Ship

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 19:05:34 PST

In a message dated 2/19/2002 5:57:13 PM Central Standard Time,
phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz writes:

> (Ho hum, here we go again!!!) In it they rail against the poor uptake of
> Science and Technology subjects by British secondary students, and locate
> the solution in 'making these subjects more relevant to students' actual
> lives'. Then they go on to suggest that considering how a leading
> footballer's boots are made is an example of how 'relevance' may be
> created.
>
> Being thus unable to truly face up to the actual contextual 'reality' of
> many student's lives, and the implications of those contexts for their own
> behaviour, they are left with nowhere to go but a leading footballer's
> boots. It seems to me that when teachers buy into this sort of stuff, a
> great indicator of a student's developmental progress can be found in how
> quickly they see through such crap.

Phillip,
I'm certainly not buying into this crap and if you would like a reference for
my anti-crap buying status I could provide references for the faculty I often
argue with about providing continuing access to St. Paul's fabulous museums
for the difficult students I work with(a membership we secured through
donations and not tax dollars!).

Successful employment is measured through competitive means and for all those
who buy into the collective this means waiting tables to increase income! The
collective only receives income from those willing to produce! Production is
the result of personal commitment, and commitment can only come about from
being a willing participant in the collective.

Able can only be defined from that which is considered to be inable.

Eric