Re: school/work

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 11:07:05 PST

In a message dated 2/18/2002 8:56:36 AM Central Standard Time,
geoff.hayward@educational-studies.oxford.ac.uk writes:

> We are
> approaching this largely using a sociocultural lens and trying to develop
> ideas about learner identity. Ultimately, we hope, through working with
> both
> business firms and teachers, to be able to provide advice both to policy
> makers and suggestions for practice for practitioners in schools and
> universities, and HR professionals in companies, struggling to 'deliver'
> this stuff about more sensible models and pedagogies.

I work with severely emtionally disturbed adolescents and the great motivator
for many of them is work, it provides stability and a sense of worth. In
running the gamit at level of impairment from extremly brain damaged to mild
obsessive compulsive disorder it is pretty tough to predict success at the
job. One girl who is 17 has never set foot in our school and yet has held
the same job for six months. Other students who won't step foot in our
school are just as afraid to enter any other public setting.

I certainly could go on but the reason I bring up level of impairment is that
early on in Vygotsky's "Crisis in Psychology" he mentions how a methodology
should build from the clinical study of abnormal human behavior and move to
the mature adult stage. I agree that being able to understand the motivation
and self-drivenness of the people I work with could provide a firm foundation
for understand all of human consciousness.

Much of what is to be understood about helping the disabled succeed in the
world of work can be found in the rehabilitative journals.

?What can unite this policy side of where to direct resources with its slow
moving agendas and the practice aspect of service that needs flexibility in
order to operate within an open system?