Re: History

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 16:17:03 PST

Kevin,

I don't think your questions were unclear. First, it is not a question of a
conscious subject for all experience, not at all. Histories exist for
collectivities and despite the keenest wishes of the Enlightenment thinkers,
there still is no conscious subject of our collective experience, a
collective experience given to us initially through the shaping our our
senses and minds in the process of socialization; thereby enabling it as our
very OWN collective experience: In any event, of all of the things in any
event, including processes and relations, which of those things understands
the event as part of its history, and can act with a representation of the
event in such a way as to influence the succeeding events? the table, the
chair, the electric socket, the books, . . ? As far as I can see the only
things in any event for whom that event can figure as part of their very own
history are humans.

Basically there are a lot of histories out their, from family histories to
the history of a sports team or even a particular sport, the history of the
world, and for all of these there are people who say to themselves. This is
part of my history, this is the history I'm carrying forward (either
consciously or unconsciously). All of us are fundamentally given the
cultural frameworks within which we enact histories inscribed in those
cultures and by enacting those histories (those scripts) we have room for
some improvisation, innovation. Some of that improvisation and innovation
that is any individuals personal life also becomes significant for others,
for whom it becomes part of their own history.

The "walking my dog" theme came from E.P. Thompson's critique of Althusser:
The Poverty of Theory. His point being that the larger histories, whose
processes and consequences fundamentally shape the histories of the
individuals who make up the societies, are obviously selections, certain
events defined as significant. Now of course this raises a whole series of
questions about who writes the history found in books. Although this is
vitally important, one thing is common to any interpretation: some events
can be and are defined as relevant to historically defined social subjects
of greater or lesser magnitude.

From a dialectical materialist perspective, that historically defined
subject is not simply a textual relation (eg, not simply what is found in
books or in statue strewn public spaces or street and highway names) but is
the outcome of material processes (Marx talked about human societies
"metabolism" with the natural environment and from there the domains of
human society). Most interesting in this regard and certainly illuminating
from an activity theory perspective would be histories of specific
industries, I would think, since their members identify themselves to a
greater or lesser extent as representatives of that industry in the sense of
"professions" and thus have uniquely relevant historical events (Boyle's
birthday is probably celebrated in some chemistry departments somewhere, and
if it isn't I'm sure there are many chemists who know it. They consider it
part of their history.). Similarly, Enron stock is part of some people's
own history but not mine. And they probably will, on the basis of that,
form a collectivity (act as historical subjects) and take legal actions
including changing the laws of the society (i don't know right now if
campaign finance passed or not), laws that obviously determine the structure
of any member's personal history at a very fundamental level, if not
completely. It's those other laws, the ones that aren't legislated and are
just as easily broken, that are such a bitch.

What is a wannabe anyway?

But the dog v. Rosa Parks issue is like this: when Rosa Parks refused to
give her seat up, it became a historically significant and motivating event
for many people that galvanized a social process (a collective subject
in-itself) that changed some of the fundamental laws that shape the
individual members of other collective subjects, in fact the people
themselves, who, in a very real way, were enacting their own history, and
for whom Rosa Parks provided a powerful symbol around which to generate
solidarity, community, to overcome contradictions that previously kept the
"in-itself" collective subject from emerging as a historical agent That
movement changed some of those unthinkable laws back then too. I have no
doubt that fundamental racial attitudes have changed in Amerika and that
racists in are now a minority and everyone consciously is encouraged to
struggle against it and them, etc. Even homophobia has become the popularly
defined illness not being homosexual. And this is certainly a result of the
collective action of gays and lesbians. Likewise, for this collective
subject, the Greystone (?) event (defined differently by different people)
became a significantly, historically galvanizing event that led to
widespread changes of unlegislated social attitudes and prejudices. It
isn't really part of my history in any way, any more than a landslide in
which I wasn't caught is, or a volcano erupting in Colombia, although I may
empathize with the principles and ideas of the people who consider it part
of the history, or the individuals who suffer the consequences of natural
disasters.

When I walk my dog I probably motivate no more than curiousity or ridicule
since it's only 18 mos. old and I'm still always working on its training.

Is that explanation clear?

Paul H. Dillon