Re: History

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 14:14:25 PST

Dear Paul,

I'm not sure I follow.

What occurence, event, instance that can be talked about does not
involve a conscious subject?

If you mean when you put "walking the dog" in parentheses that the
abstract action of "walking the dog" is not history, that seems
self-evident.

Or if you mean that any hypothetical structure or fiction is not
historical (that becomes a little trickier, but I'll "suspend disbelief"
- though I'm not sure what to do with the history of ideas or a history
of concepts).

But surely walking any particular dog is an historical event for any
conscious participant, witness or person who hears/learns about it (?).
No? What am I missing? Is there a hierarcy of events that can count as
history? Who decides?

Sorry to be unclear.

In Peace,
K.