Re: History

From: Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 02:45:12 PST

At 20:46 12/02/02 -0800, you wrote:

>Of course I would make the same statment Eric. A gun in a pile of salt
>undergoes changes but these changes do not constitute history in any
>sense of the word.
>
>Oxidation is not history.

Of course, it's true that humans are the only species 'for whom history
exists', as Paul puts it. But that does not mean that other things do not
have a history. I do not accept that it is only meaningful to use the term
'history' in relation to human activity undertaken 'for itself' (by which I
assume you mean with some degree of consciousness). A mountain has a
geological history just as a kidney has a history of evolution as a
physical organ. Their existence is just as much 'prima facie historical
existence.' I'm reminded of Marx's remark that the great advance Darwin
made was to introduce history into nature.

I have always one of the aspects of the H in CHAT to be that mediating
artefacts themselves have a history that plays an important role in the
range of possibilities open to humans at any point in time.This notion is I
think fundamental to historical materialism with its concept that the
development of the productive forces provides the bedrock for the
development of human society.

Bruce Robinson

---