RE: History

From: Cunningham, Donald (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 12:36:12 PST

As Geoff gropes towards understanding I slouch toward confusion (on the way
to Gomorrah, I guess). How does adding "socio-historical source" to
community clarify it? Why is subject/artifact/object analytical and not
community/rules/division of labor? Why are only subjects (individuals or
collectives) historical? Does a word have a history? A gun? A mountain? A
kidney? Is someone(thing) historical only because it has significance (e.g.,
Rosa Parks vs. walking a dog). Significant for whom? Historians?

I'm really not trying to be argumentative here, I truly don't understand.
This strand started with Mike posting some data. Perhaps if we all
referenced back to that and concretized some of the words and terms we are
using, we could make some progress.

djc