Re: History

From: blantonw@miami.edu
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 10:58:20 PST

Geoff,

My understanding of community in Yrjo's model is that it is the source from
which a subject is drawn for point of view for anaylysis. It is also the
socio-historical source of the elements of the triangle. I am groping for
words, too.

My question is: Can the subject be the collective community and also
various combinations of participants in the community?

Bill Blanton

At 04:55 PM 2/12/02 +0000, you wrote:
>I am not sure Don that everything in the Activity system is community -
>would that not reduce the analytical purchase of community. My understanding
>is that it is the bottom part of the triangle 'model' (which I take to be a
>heuristic device rather than a model per se, and I see it as having a
>heuristic function, hence my question to Helena about its analytic function)
>which should be taking as representing community with its rules and division
>of labour. But I am groping towards an understanding here so what do others
>think?
William E. Blanton
Department of Teaching and Learning
325 A Merrick