Re: cops and newbies

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 06:59:42 PST

I like Bill Blanton's comparison of Yrjo's Collective Activity System model and
Lave's Community of Practice model (I know they're not exactly models, but for
the purposes of figuring out how to understand XMCA, that word is good enough
for me). CAS suggests people trying to do something together, however
ineffectively or sucessfully; CoP suggests a continuum from novice to expert in
which the focus is on getting good at, or becoming increasingly central to, an
activity. CAS affords us the opportunity to look at the bumpiness of the ride as
part and parcel of what we're trying to do; CoP suggest that if the ride is
bumpy, something is wrong -- for example, newbies are creating problems.

Of course, these analytic models can BOTH be descriptive of what's going on
here. But they've got different purposes.

Helena Worthen