Re: Two different paradigms

From: Nate Schmolze (v3y3g3o3t3s3k3y@msn.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 04:00:47 PST

Ana,

Acommodation / assimilation are biological concepts for the same reason you describe Piaget as "an organism that develops within". Accomadation / assimulation are biological concepts (reductionist) that supposededly not only explain the behavior of plants, simplistic animals but also behavior as complex as human culture.

Maybe best compared to the "unit of analysis" problem where Piaget felt that biology could serve as an explanatory core (accomodation / assimulation) for all biological organisms. I think Vygotsky and friends took a radically different approach - as "in activity, in action, in context, in mediation" etc.

In the end, I am referring more to Charles post now, our confortability or black boxness so to be speak, has a lot to do with specific world views the theorists invoked. Piaget had a very individualistic aaproach to development, one that would clearly argue the "individual" came before "society". Similar to how many in american (capitalist) culture many feel society is an empty abtraction that has no meaning. Vygotsky and Co. appears to me to take a very different tract - mainly that we as individuals are not in contradiction with society but only exist as a result of it (don't bite the hand that feeds you). We could say the same here, that without a reference back to the social or social practice the concept of "individual" becomes an empty abstraction.

Charles, accommadation / assimulation have always been meaningless concepts to me. Maybe close to what you refer to as black boxes. I do however think appropriation does get at the core of appropriation / accomadation, especially Wertsch's take on in in Mind as Action.

Nate