Re: Quasi-historical discourse

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 23:16:17 PST

Joseph,

What theory does the notion of "the organizational invariant function that
organizes the adaptations" come from?? is that how Piaget himself
characterized what he was doing? I was just basically paraphrasing what
Vygotsky said about his own work, well before Stalinism had set in; i.e., it
wasn't simply an ideological covering. I thought Piaget developed a
neo-Kantian theory of egocentric developmental stages (cognitive and moral)
in human children. I once studied with an anthropologist who was strongly
influenced by Piaget. But I guess the point is well taken: people on xmca
don't seem to study the same "problems" that either Piaget or Vygotsky did.
I think what one finds here is something of a Piaget-Vygotsky smorgasboard;
i.e., make your own meal, have it your way, "all desserts?? that's cool",
etc :)

Paul H. Dillon