Re: how about appropriation?

From: Charles Nelson (c.nelson@mail.utexas.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 20:54:12 PST

Mike, I haven't read them recently but from what I have read,
appropriation seems to be more of a description of what is seen
rather than an explanatory mechanism for learning. Usually I find it
defined as some process through which people construct, reconstruct
or co-construct sociocultural practices. But the mechanism of
construction itself remains black-boxed. (Perhaps equilibration is a
black box, too, but just at a lower level that I'm not questioning as
much.) Recently, I've been leaning toward a Piagetian perspective as
an explanation for individual appropriation while still recognizing,
as Ana was saying, the significant change in the learning environment
due to mediation both of others and sociohistorical tools. Perhaps
I've just "patched" these two together, but how else do we explain
appropriation? Did Newman et al or Rogoff explain the mechanism of
appropriation in a way that's not black-boxed?

Charles