Quasi-historical discourse

From: Glick, Joseph (JGlick@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 16:40:43 PST

Piaget died more than 20 years ago. Vygotsky died 40 + years before
Piaget's death and we are now in a new millenium.

These folks have entered into our common cultural heritage. They belong
there, as tools for the bricoleurs that we are, to mobilize and use
given a problem at hand. I think that the time is long past for likening
or distinguishing them. They have become part of our cultural tool kit
and they sit side by side as resources - not lively theoretical
positions to be attacked or defended. They are resources for current
discourses and shouldn't be mistaken for being current discourses.

If we want to find out what these guys were really about we should look
to the kinds of theoretical problems that they were trying to solve -
which were quite different and which are, I think, quite different from
the kinds of problems that we are trying to solve.