cops and newbies

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 08:24:13 PST

Hi Bill--

You know, I am certain you are correct about the changing ecology of
participation and we ought to be able to locate such changes in terms
of the discussion of communities of practices.

There is a tendency, I think, to believe that in communities of practice
ther is this sort of "natural" movement from periphery to center. I
don't think this is what lave and wenger believed, but it is how they
are often interpreted. But Dianne's article provides clear evidence of
counter currents/resistence, but still there is the assumption that there
is some center which peripheralites are "intended" to "gain."

But with xmca, my intuition is that a different dynamic is at work. Some
people have participated actively for a considerable period of time and
then, so to speak, "left the room." Some in disgust, some because it appears
that they have learned what they hope to have learned and have green
pastures to graze on.

Thanks for your warnings re changes in joinint/quitting procedures. I will
pass along to bj.
mike