according to Bruner

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 15:28:10 PST

I asked Jerry Bruner about "the American problem" quotation. Below his
response. My guess is that othe than in Psych Todaym (Hall was quoting
something, right?) the reference came in response to the Bruner et al
book, "Studies in cognitive growth" published in 1966 and to research
like that of Rochel Gelman and other who demonstrated that with training,
kids could solve conservation problems earlier than he anticipated.

Here is prof bruner's response:

About the Piaget remark -- The American Problem -- I'm not even sure he
ever wrote it down (though it's sufficiently well known to suggest that he
did). The first time I recall his using it was at a seminar in Geneva
when I was right there and present. He said something like, "c'est le
probleme de Bruner, a accelerer le developpement de l'esprit de l'enfant
-- ou, peutetre, c'est le problem Americain!" It was a typical
crypto-Kantian misperception.

Greetings,
                                Jerry

Jerome Bruner E-mail jerome.bruner@nyu.edu
Research Professor of Psychology Phone (212)674-7816
Senior Research Fellow in Law FAX (212)673-6118
                New York University
                200 Mercer Street
                New York, N.Y. 10012