taking initiative

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 08:39:48 PST

OK, dianne. So you like this idea?

mike writes:
>Might XMCA create its own support program, starting with undergrads, but
>especially providing support for grad students in the form of mentoring
>groups and networking to help push the other way?
>
>Or is it simply too much trouble? Perhaps not even worth discussing.
>mike

well it is, actually, an important and ACTIVE suggestion,
and it would be GREAT if folks here rallied behind it. :)

It doesn't seem too hard to imagine how we might proceed. There are already
grad students on this list, some with local mentors on the list as well,
some not. There are many faculty with grad students. We could set up
a mechanism, perhaps using the web page, which we are poised to start using
more actively anyway, which could serve as a medium for students seeking
mentoring interactions to indicate what their needs and concerns are and
we could have volunteer mentors from the list identified who could respond
to those requests.

Of, even simpler, we could set aside designated times, say, like, next
week, when any grad student on the list could write a question or series
of questions that are really bothering them, and then focus our collective
attention on their questions and needs to see if we could help.

And there are, of course, other mechanisms. but is there a will?
mike