tomorrow's professor

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 20:10:27 PST

Don-- The general message of the book, judging from the review, rings true
to me. Our faculty is divided equally between male and female. There are
several non-anglo faculty from various ethnic groups. Our past chair was
a Deaf woman and I believe there is a genuine concern with diversity. But
no one is satisfied with the situation and a lot of the problems mentioned
in the review resonate with my experience here over the past two decades.
The heavy burden for non-anglo-males to be on committees and to be role
models weighs heavily.

At the undergrad level, the social sciences are overwhelmingly female, and this
is also true in our graduate programs. But, as the reviewer points out, the
higher up the ladder one goes, the less representation of women and minotiries
one finds. They are eaten alive by the system that took them in.

Might XMCA create its own support program, starting with undergrads, but
especially providing support for grad students in the form of mentoring
groups and networking to help push the other way?

Or is it simply too much trouble? Perhaps not even worth discussing.
mike