joke as activity: AT perspective

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 09:43:26 PST

Well, I think Diane has now actually moved to formulate the situation in
more "activity theory terms". Have you noticed that? Diane asked: "what do
you hope would result from your posting of the "joke" in the first place?"

This is really now an AT type of question. Or, one could say, the important
point to reflect upon is why, for what GOAL, and out of what MOTIVE the joke
was posted? Remember that goals are always conscious but motives are
not...Motives are also always stemming from broader societal processes and
reflective of them. The ultimate question is, then, what kind of a
real-life, practical activity could have given rise to the motives and goals
in question?

I am not sure this is a kind of situation that is worth spending a lot of
time. But the point is that the real answers are to be found in the AT type
of analysis.

And, by the way, i always felt that this listserve was incredibly lucky in
terms of having many wonderfully voiceful, insightful, and outspoken women
who often dominate, push, and frame the discussions. Just an impression. I
hope it continues this way.

Anna Stetsenko