Re: vygotsky question

From: Nate Schmolze (v3y3g3o3t3s3k3y@msn.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 05:18:31 PST

Bill,

The framing puts forth a picture of the individual as audience on the "social" stage
 whereas I would tend to see Vygotsky as framing the individual as participant.

My main point being a individual - evironmental misses the point. Vygotsky explicitly
critiqued and argured against this kind of interactionist approach.

I like Leontev's statement,

"The evolution of the species "homo sapiens"...has procedded in some other different sphere than the biological, the species characteristics being accumulated not in the form of morphological changes, but in some other form. It has been the sphere of social human life, a form of the fixation of achievements of human activities in the social and historical experience of humanity...Man learns from his errors - and still more from the successes - of other people while each generation of animal can only learn solely from its own. It is mankind as a whole, but not as a seperate human being, who interacts with the biological environment; therefore such laws of evolution as, for example, the law of natural selection become invalid inside human society".