Re: the many faces of xmca

From: Jay Lemke (jllbc@cunyvm.cuny.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 18:26:24 PST

I think that many of us, like Nate, are a bit frustrated by the
hyper-commodification of "intellectual property" on the web and elsewhere
under capitalist globalization ...

But I remember the Parasite (of M. Serres), and I have some hope for both
the spirit of piracy and inevitability that new post-institutional forms
emerge by re-appropriating bits and pieces of established forms and
institutions in unforeseen ways.

Of course Yahoo's profit motives and official policies suck ..... but let's
sail our pirate ships through their password guarded gates and make use of
the services they offer to tempt us toward their profit points, steering a
different course ...

Jolly Roger.

PS. I hereby declare my image and likeness to be the inalienable property
of Allah!

JAY L. LEMKE
PROFESSOR OF EDUCATION
CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK