Re: The subject/s of ethnography

From: Mary Bryson (brys@unixg.ubc.ca)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 08:50:19 PST

Yes, while I was making dinner, I figured that out.
It wasn't obvious to me, because it is not how I see the function of "the
letter". In a Dorothy Smith world of textually-mediated institutional
relations, I figure that once I was "permitted" to write, "they" had already
decided that their witch-hunt had failed. "The letter" signalled and
mediated my return to the "total institution". I think I could have handed
in a bunch of blank pages and the outcome would have been the same.
And the article is not about me, anyway. I only included the
autobiographical preamble because the subject - for me - is about life and
death stuff.