RE: engineering communities

From: Cunningham, Donald (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 13:41:07 PST

Bill, I clearly have a distorted viewed of engineers (I nearly flunked out
of college in a "pre-engineering" program so that has undoubtedly scarred
me!). But our ideas are pretty close as far as I can tell. My parallel story
is when my farm tractor wouldn't start, I would usually invite my neighbor
over. He couldn't read so he would ignore my attempts to tell him what the
owner's manual said. He'd crank it, smell the exhaust, feel the mixture
coming into the carburetor, apply some duct tape (or some such thing) and
start it up. No senior engineer, he, but he understood the tractor, the
whole of it, whereas I only had the pieces.

Pirsig tells similar stories in _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance_.

I also believe that it is easier to understand things that we have built
(cameras, tractors) than things we have not (individuals, communities). We
should try, of course. I just don't see the parallels to duct tape and