Re: supporting ourselves

From: Nate Schmolze (v3y3g3o3t3s3k3y@msn.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 04:37:36 PST

Bill,

I can get up to 1500 kb / s with my connection so, I you can do what you say and put it on a good server I can load on mca in a realitively short period of time. Lesley would be much better than Yahoo since markup is automatically embedded in yahoo pages which are almost as much pain as frontpage.

Bill, you maybe entirely right as far as Lesley which is why I questioned why Yahoo bothered me and not Lesley. I think Yahoo has some legitimacy such as dymanic transfers of web addresses depending on internet congestion. What bothers me about Yahoo and why I left them as a portal is they are really desperate financially now. Excite who-is-at Home in their desperateness sold everything in sight. It was nice they didn't charge for my photo - or did yahoo still have it in their possession :)

Again I think the major issue is closing of the internet - one is required to register with Yahoo, MSN, Lycos etc in order to participate or view the photos. I may want to view the photos and have an interest to do so as a member of XCMA, but may be unwilling to use Yahoo as a portal or sign up (sell personal information) for an account. Now, maybe everyone on XCMA has an account, so its realitively open anyway.

I find this stuff personally frustrating also such as creating an online photo album. I have to have anyone that would view it have an account with the corresponding portal. What if Uncle Bob uses Yahoo, and Billie Joe MSN. Personally, I have settled on MSN because as of yet I do not think passport is required.

I would also like to add that I think this is a great idea, and my preference would be the collage.

nAtE