Re: On Interactivity and Digital Media - interesting

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 02:36:22 PST

It is interesting to compare the Shuglin article that Mary has posted to
the following lines:

"Luria's project was his hope that by uncovering the specific dynamics of
thought in pre-literate societies, he could collaborate in a program of
film-mediated education that would bring Soviet peasants a richer
understanding of their historical circumstances, the better to guide their
own destinies. Sergei Eisenstein had been experimenting with the way in
which visual images could be artfully combined to evoke emergent
generalisations in the viewers of his films, even though they could not
read and the films were silent. Luria hoped his work would aid his effort
by revealing the cognitive dynamics of pre-industrial peoples as a basis
for arranging a sequence of films".

Cole M :" The Theory of Luria", 1987 p xii

It seems possible to apply Shuglin's analysis to the processes Mike
describes, and indeed any mediated process. There is a intellectual
hegemony which always gives primacy to older media ( old media represents
... new media manipulates) and in most cases writers hold primacy of
textual communication over other forms. We get the same messages from
Rozak. He dismisses the internet as a marketing man’s dream tool. However
this belies the fact that marketing people have also used all the other
media that have preceded the computer: print, drama, visual arts or
whatever which Rozak would favour.

Incidently, I came across the Cole quote in a book that dropped through my
mail box last week which I feel deserves everyone's attention as it is a
very useful source and good critical introduction to so many ideas.
Certainly something I will be recommending to teachers:
Harry Daniels " Vygotsky and Pedagogy", FalmerRoutledge 2001.

Martin Owen
Labordy Dysgu- Learning Lab
Prifysgol Cymru Bangor- University of Wales, Bangor